Best Golf Ball for Distance with a Slow Swing Speed
Many golfers strive to have a fast swing speed, but the reality is that the majority of payers have a relatively slow swing. Finding the best golf ball for slow swing speed is essential.
Picking the right golf ball for your swing speed is one of the easier ways to improve your scores. It’s not going to fix your game magically, but it’s something that should lower your scores by a few strokes.
If you need distance and a straighter ball flight, a lower-spin ball can help. If your short game is the key to scoring well, you’ll want a softball you can control around the green. Seniors often need a combination of distance and feel, so finding the right ball can be a bit of a trick.
This article is here to help guide you when you’re staring at the endless ball display in your local golf retailer. There are so many options out there, and we’re here to help point you at the ones that’ll help your game the most.
Let’s get started.
Callaway 2019 ERC Soft Triple Track Golf Balls 12
- Callaway Golf ERC Soft Triple Track Golf Balls -12pk
- The multi material hybrid cover creates an exceptional combination of faster ball speeds, incredibly soft feel, and noticeably higher spin for excellent control
- ERC Soft is our longest Callaway golf ball with soft feel
- A grapheme infused Dual Soft Fast Core maximizes compression energy while minimizing driver spin and promoting high launch for long distance
- New Triple Track Technology helps to improve alignment compared to a regular side stamp alignment aid
Kicking off our list are these ERC soft triple track golf balls from the famous company known as Callaway. If achieving long distances is your main objective (which is the case of most slow swingers), these balls could help you conquer that task.
Before we delve into all the technicalities of the material used and the features involved in making the golf balls effective, we need to tackle what makes them stand out from the crowd.
The ‘Triple Track’ technology used in these is truly revolutionary and is what Callaway calls the alignment aid. It makes sure that the ball maintains a straight trajectory.
These ERC softballs consist of a thick red middle line with a much thinner blue stripe on either side. This design utilizes the proven concept of Vernier Visual Acuity, which aircraft carriers use as well. Furthermore, the ERCs are three-piece golf balls that have a soft graphene core.
This material is quite flexible and strong, enabling it to generate a satisfactory launch with high speeds and low spin.
These golf balls come with a polybutadiene cover, which combines the strength of both the urethane and ionomer covers.
This is a very effective material. It also allows Callaway to keep a reasonable price tag due to its low production costs. On top of all this, the balls have decent durability and won’t give up on you after nine holes.
- Triple Track uses Vernier Visual Acuity to improve alignment compared to a regular side stamp aid.
- Prominently featured Triple Track lines on the side of the ball enhance alignment and accuracy.
- Alignment cues utilize the same visual technology used to land planes on aircraft carriers.
- Great combination of distance and feel
- Hybrid cover of Urethane and ionomer
- The triple Track alignment system
TaylorMade Project (a) Golf Balls
- Soft cast Soft Tech urethane cover for more control with all irons and wedges
- New Dual-Distance Core design features a larger, softer inner core to reduce spin and improving feel
- Stiffer outer core increased velocity and rebound
- Sub 70 compression rating for incredibly soft feel
- New 322 dimple pattern for less drag
These highly rated and popular golf balls are ideal for people with a medium to slow swing speed. The softballs have a double layer to provide adequate distance along with the optimum control over the greens.
They have the new dimple design coupled with a 322 pattern that reduces drag quite a bit. This makes the project balls highly accurate and increases the potential distance that you can achieve.
The core is soft, and the spin is higher around the green while being low off the tee. This makes them more versatile and suitable for many avid golfers.
While having a softcore, these golf balls have a firm outer layer and a urethane cover to go along with them.
TaylorMade has honestly offered a fantastic combination of long-distance shots and control on short games due to the multi-layered construction and simple design.
These particular balls are in their third generation, giving you an idea of why many golfers rate them so highly.
They are certainly not the cheapest option in the market, but we think they justify their price tag. The feel of the golf ball is palpable, and the ball control should help you out in your short game, allowing you the chance to potentially get a hole-in-one in that par three that you’ve always wanted. Some golfers, however, might find the spin to be a little low on long drives.
If you have a handicap between 10 and 20, pick up the TaylorMade Project (a) and play a ball made specifically for your game.
- 3 Piece Construction
- 322 Dimple Urethane Cover
- Aerodynamic Dimple Design
- Low drag
- Good spin
- Excellent distance
- A little costly
TaylorMade TP5 Golf Balls
- More speed in the most complete tour ball
- XL low compression core increases launch angle and reduces drag
- 4 Increasingly stiff layers for higher ball speed through greater rebound
- Softer cast urethane cover increases groove interaction for more greenside spin
- New Soft-tough Cover - Improved Urethane compound and paint formulation for added cover durability
The new Taylor Made Tp5 golf ball is stacked with improvements and fits well with other premium balls.
It features a 5-layer ball with a unique Tri-Fast Core and a Dual-Spin outer layer that allows the ball to perform with every club.
The 4th and 5th layers are now 30% stiffer than the previous model, adding durability.
This High-Flex-Modulus converted the deflection more efficiently at impact into forwarding velocity and enabled TaylorMade to make a softer core and hence reduce driver spin.
With less spin-off, the driver will add carry and distance whilst also increasing accuracy.
Reduced drag, increased launch, and better control are all by-products of these innovations.
The compression has been slightly increased from 83 to 85 but is still in the range for slow swingers or senior golfers.
Greenside playability, and the confidence to attack chip and pitch shots around the green, are sure ways to reduce shots per round.
The feel of the putter is soft and smooth, which should suit most good players.
- 5 Layer Construction
- Tri-Fast Core
- Dual Spin Cover
- Very workable
- Super soft feel
- Outstanding spin
Callaway Golf Supersoft Golf Balls
- New Low Drag HEX Aerodynamics are optimized to reduce drag and enhance lift for longer carry and longer distance
- A new softer Trigonometry cover formulation has a low compression for enhanced feel and increased greenside control
The SuperSoft is a 2-piece, low compression golf ball that performs well above its price. It has an incredibly soft ultra-low 35 compression points core. The SuperSoft is one of the softest balls available and has changed how golfers play with ultra-soft golf balls.
This, combined with the low drag hex aerodynamics technology that promotes low spin, gets a ball designed for faster ball speed, increased distance, and straight ball flight.
You can rely on a straight trajectory combined with a good flight from a well-struck shot. Not only will you get incredible distance, but the Supersoft has a great feel around the greens.
The Supersoft is available in a range of matte-finished bright colored balls, making it easy to spot after your extra-long drive or in the rough.
You will not be breaking the bank should you have to splash out on replacement balls if you find your Supersoft in the rough.
Straighter and more accurate shots are on the cards as the Supersoft has a low spin and will not veer too far off the line on some errant shots.
The Supersoft gives excellent feedback off the putter face and should result in your putt end in close proximity, if not at the bottom of the hole.
Golfers with clubhead speed less than 95 mph will achieve high launch, hang time, reduced sidespin, and low backspin from the tee. This all is resulting in a straighter and longer drive.
The Supersoft achieved high ball flight from the fairway, resulting in shots dropping quickly and stop very soon.
Around the green, Supersoft exceeds industry standards for balls in the same category. This ball feels wonderful with any club and is well suited for senior golfers with slower swing speed.
- Beginner senior golfers can reap most out of its features
- Multiple vibrant colors
- The awesome distance combined with a soft feel
- Excellent on the putting green
- Callaway hexagonal-shaped dimples give it a unique look
- Gives easy distance
- Very forgiving off the clubface
- They fly very straight
- They come in matte yellow or glossy white
- Great for beginners
- Consistent distances
- They don’t have a great feel on the green
- The thin cover scuffs easily
- Not very durable
Chromax Metallic M5 Colored Golf Balls
The Chromax Metallic M5, a 2-piece golf ball with a 75 compression points high energy Inner Core mixed with a titanium powder, molded under high temperatures and extreme pressure for superior durability, elasticity, and a high coefficient of restitution.
It is covered with a translucent High Flow poly-resin Surlyn Ball Cover containing 302 larger Dimples achieving a longer distance. The outer cover is durable and provides high energy transfer and spin for distance and control.
The balls are highly visible and have a unique metallic color, and this is one of the outstanding features of the Chromax Metallic M5. This is achieved through a metallic, durable, patented Surlyn coating ensuring high visibility golf balls.
The patented coating enables golfers with fading eyesight to find the balls in all light conditions. The M5 is available in silver, neon green, pink, gold, yellow, orange, blue, or purple.
The metallic-colored Chromax Metallic M5 will make it very unlikely for you not to be able to spot your ball during the flight or that you will spend too much time looking for the ball.
It will shout its location out to you with an exciting array of colors, making it ideal for senior golfers with fading eyesight.
- The vast array of colors makes this ball stand out in visibility, especially in inclement weather conditions.
- Expect long shots with extra roll resulting from the durable cover and a strong core.
- The M5 will be a big attention grabber in your four-ball as well as other golfers that encounters it on the course.
- Can achieve more distance in the greens.
- High visibility is added due to metallic colors.
- Playing in low light conditions will be advantageous.
- Have a strong core that provides greater energy during the shots.
- Looks fancy for an experienced golfer to use them.
Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls
It’s no secret that Titleist is the number one ball in golf.
And when you get your hands on the Titleist Pro V1 Prior Generation Golf Balls, you will see why.
The Titleist Pro V1 offers every total player performance.
It is easily one of the most advanced and best performing golf balls Titleist has ever created.
It is precisely engineered and uses the most advanced golf ball technology to ensure you get the performance you need in every shot you take.
The Titleist Pro V1 is powered by a Next Generation 2.0 ZG Process Core. This new formulation delivers lower spin, a penetrating trajectory, and faster ball speeds.
This basically means you will be able to get longer distances on all of your shots.
The ionomeric casing layer is thin yet very responsive. It controls to spin and enhances Speed on full shots.
The Titleist Pro V1 is constructed using a proprietary soft Urethane Elastomer cover system. This system delivers a soft feel, long-lasting durability, and Drop and Stop greenside control.
If there is one thing, golfers want more of its consistency. The Titleist Pro V1 features a new dimple design with better dimple placement.
- Features a Next Generation 2.0 ZG Process Core that delivers longer distances on all of your shots.
- Provides enhanced speed thanks to the thin ionomeric casing layer.
- Has a soft Urethane Elastomer cover system that delivers drop and stop greenside control.
- Features a new dimple design that offers a more consistent flight.
- Good feel
- Penetrating Trajectory
- Consistent in the wind
- Possibly too soft for some golfers
Callaway Golf Chrome Soft Truvis Golf Balls
- This ball is different. The Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow Golf Balls combine Tour-proven distance and performance, unparalleled feel, our popular Truvis pattern, led by the groundbreaking new Graphene Dual Soft Fast Core.
- Distance & Control Through The Bag
- Pinpoint Greenside Control
The Callaway Golf Chrome Soft Truvis golf ball can be best described in one word. Different!
Let’s start with the European-themed pattern. The purpose of the Truvis pattern design is to give you better focus and visibility by maximizing your view of the ball.
Looking for fast ball speeds and low spin-off the driver?
Thanks to the new Graphene infused dual soft fast core; you will get just that.
Graphene is one of the strongest and lightest materials in the world. By infusing it to the outer core, the inner core becomes larger.
This maximizes compression energy while also minimizing driver spin. The result is the high launch for long-distance.
The premium dual-core construction provides more distance and better control through the bag.
The thin ultra-soft Tour Urethane cover provides a fantastic feel, incredible durability and generates pinpoint greenside control on both pitches and chips.
For incredible distance, the Callaway Golf Chrome Soft Truvis golf ball offers maximum forgiveness on off-center hits.
- Features a European Truvis design for maximum visibility.
- Offers fast ball speeds and low spin off the driver thanks to the new Graphene infused dual soft fast core.
- Premium dual-core construction promotes distance and control through the bag.
- Long-distance without sacrificing feel
- Aerodynamically designed
- Consistent and durable
- High price
Callaway Golf Superhot Bold Matte Golf Balls Prior Generation
- Super long distance with great spin and control. The Superhot Golf Ball is a super long distance ball with great short game spin and control.
Callaway has made another entry into the lineup. They are truly one of the pioneers of golf, and their list of products is undoubtedly one of the best.
They deal with top-notch golf equipment and gear, and that is why they are one of the most highly acclaimed golf companies around. These Superhot Bold golf balls are no exception.
These golf balls will undoubtedly provide outstanding performance and features to slow swingers and be an excellent pick for every golfer.
You can find these balls in a pack of 15 that come in 5 different colors. They include matte red, matte yellow, and matte orange, to name a few. The Superhot Bold golf balls feature a three-piece construction along with a softcover.
This combination will provide increased spin and give you the control you need on the green so that you can impress everyone with your flight.
These have class-leading aerodynamics designed for optimal lift and low drag, allowing the ball to remain in the air for longer while having a strong flight.
This is crucial as it will enable you to achieve longer distances from the tee to the green, all with your slow swing speed.
These Superhot golf balls are full of features and are great for long-distance swings. Along with their remarkable control and increased short game spin, they provide excellent value.
That is the reason due to which many golfers rate them highly. However, these are not as good over short-distance swings.
- Callaway Superhot Golf Balls offer great control, allowing for accurate shots and a straight trajectory.
- They are optimum for long-distance shots due to their construction and aerodynamics, which allow them to go longer distances even with a slow swing speed.
- Although they are great quality golf balls that offer top-level performance, they are still very affordable.
- A higher level of turnover
- Greater control of the short game
- Optimal lift on each flight
- Inadequate visibility in the field
Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls
- Two piece value golf ball for 70+ mile per hour swing speeds
- Provides both feel and greater distance
- Lonomer cover
- New dimple pattern equals enhanced aerodynamics and greater distance
- Just added to Srixon's Tour Yellow line of golf balls
If you have a slow swing speed, you probably go through a fair amount of balls. If you want quality balls that will work with your swing speed while not spending a fortune, the
Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls could well be the answer. They are great value for money and will work well with slower swing speeds.
It is important to have quality balls that suit your style, and this can be done with balls that do not cost an arm and a leg.
The fear of losing a costly ball can work against you and put additional pressure on your game. These soft feel balls are well priced and highly effective for slower swingers.
They have a low compression of around 60, which makes them perfectly suited for slow to moderate swings off the tee and iron shots.
This will allow these golfers to maximize their distance. The Energetic Gradient Growth Core has a soft center with firmness on the outside. This works well with the softcover for a great feel and distance.
Most would assume these softballs offer little greenside control. While these balls do have a low spin, most golfers in this category agree that they provide fair control on approach shots. Srixon has found a good balance of feel, distance, and control.
The 338 Speed Dimple pattern allows for aerodynamics and makes them play well in the wind. Most golfers can expect accuracy and distance.
- Ultra-soft feel
- Great value for money
- Maximizes distance for slow to moderate swing speeds
- Fair greenside control
- Forgiving and relatively accurate
- Affordable quality
- Extreme consistency
- Long-lasting and durable, provided you do not lose it
- High ball flight makes it easy to stop on the green
- Soft feel cover
- Low spin off driver’s face for straighter, longer shots
- Soft flying balls do not stop quickly on greens
Snell MTB Black Golf Balls
- 3-piece construction with 360 dimple pattern Urethane cover providing short game control
- Excellent feel and durability
- NEW 7% lower Compression Core maximizing distances by lowering spin off the Driver.
- Conforms to USGA standards and are legal for tournament play.
Snell is a relative newcomer to the golf ball industry but has produced reliable results and has grown quite a following.
The performance of the Snell MTB Black has been top class, and they are almost comparable to some of the absolute best in the premium class of balls, at a much lower investment.
The 3-piece golf ball with a compression rating of 80 makes this one of the highest compression ratings in this class. A fast core lowered the compression rating by 7% from the original MTB enables the Snell Black to produce low spin for long distances.
The outer layer design provides the spin control preferred by better players, and it reacts very well on the greens.
As a result of the refined aerodynamics, you will experience low lift and low drag, enabling you to control the ball flight and less ballooning in the wind.
- Three-piece construction offering fast speeds and long Distance
- 2018 & 2019 gold Medal winner by golf digest
- Low spin rates and longer distance off drivers
- Cast urethane cover offering a soft feel and short game control
- Material Type: Urethane Rubber
- Urethane cover is exceptionally durable
- Excellent spin on approaches and chip shots
- Provides the sense of top range golf balls
- Relatively unknown
Wilson Golf Staff Fifty Elite Golf Balls
- Country Of Origin : China
- Package Weight : 1.0 Lbs
- Performance Balance - The Aggressive Core Is Offset By A Response, Cover Creating A Balance Between Explosive Distance And A Soft Feel
- Improved Rubber Chemistry Yields A Lively Core That'S 22% Softer Than The Competition
Wilson produced one of their more popular golf balls for the average golfer as a budget-friendly ball with excellent performance.
The 2-piece ball with a compression rating of 50 produces low spin and is ideal for beginners to intermediate golfers. It is the perfect choice for golfers that want an affordable golf ball coupled with excellent performance.
The improved rubber chemistry yields a core that is up to 22% softer than comparable balls. This provides a tremendous balance between long-distance and a soft feel offering you the ultimate golf ball control.
The outer layer is constructed from a new 302 Ph.D. aerodynamics that features a unique flat bottomed for low air resistance and longer, more accurate shots. Shallow dimples enable the ball to fly through the air to create a more stable, penetrating ball flight.
The extra distance could well place you in range of getting onto the green and closer to the pin for more birdies and eagles.
A new plastic slide pack aids in the ball’s durability, and there have been no complaints related to its durability.
- Great greenside performance
- Durable and easy to locate
- Built for distance and ultimate control
- Great pricing
- High penetrating ball trajectory
- Low price
- Great length
- Maximum carry
- Good spin
- Durability can be improved
- The extra distance will be appreciated
- Not the most premium balls on the market
- The feel is not the best in class
TaylorMade Project (s) Golf Balls
Get the same great feel as the Project (a) but with an easier to see color and less spin off the tee with the new TaylorMade Project (s) golf balls.
Amateur golfers tend to struggle with unwanted spin and low ball speed. To combat this, TaylorMade decided to add to its Project line of golf balls with the Project (s). Each Project (s) golf ball is made with a 3 Piece Construction that includes a dual-core and an outer cover.
What makes the dual-core different in the Project (s) compared to Project (a) is that the cores have been made softer with even lower compression. For golfers with a slower swing speed, a softer ball is ideal since it will gather more energy at impact.
The cover of the Project (s) golf ball is made from a durable Ionomer material. While Ionomer material isn’t as spinny as Urethane, it still does an excellent job creating spin-on wedge shots. Both the Ionomer cover and the 342 Dimple Pattern resists excess spin-off drives.
- 3 Piece Construction
- Durable Ionomer Cover
- 342 Dimple Design
- Super Soft
- Great Ball Speed
- Excellent Distance
TaylorMade V3 Speed Golf Balls
- 3-LAYER TECHNOLOGY. More layers. More performance.
- HIGH-ENERGY REACT CORE. Maximizes distance off of the tee.
- SPEEDMANTLE TECHNOLOGY. Helps generate more iron distance and control.
- SOFT IONOMER COVER. Maintains soft feel around the greens.
TaylorMade’s V3 Speed golf balls find themselves somewhere between the Project line of golf balls and the lower economy lines.
The real target demographic is golfers who want the feel of a tour ball but with more control and less unwanted spin. To accomplish this task, the engineers at TaylorMade choose to use a 3 Piece Construction.
The key to the V3 Speed’s impressive distance is the High Energy React Core that efficiently changes the clubhead speed into ball speed. This core creates super long carry off of tee boxes and lends itself to long irons as well.
While the V3 Speed may be a little more challenging than some of the other tour-style balls TaylorMade has on offer, but an Ionomer Cover is there to help soften the feel. The cover also plays a part in creating spin around the green.
- 3 Piece Construction
- Soft Ionomer Cover
- High Energy React Core
- Super Long
- Low Driver Spin
- Great Value
As golfers get older, their swing speeds tend to drop. While there are still seniors who can hit the ball a long way, most will admit that they hit it a lot further in their prime. So as you get older, you need a little help from your equipment to get the ball to the green.
Fortunately, many of today’s golf balls provide compression levels that help increase the distance you’re able to hit the ball.
Many seniors are still using the balls they used ten years ago, but that’s a mistake: as your swing and golf game changes, so should your ball.
Switching to senior tees and more flexible shafts is one step you can take, but finding a ball that gives you more distance should be a no-brainer.
If you’re retired and living on a fixed income, you don’t want to be blowing it on balls that scuff badly at first sight of a cart path. And if you hit the ball a little thin, there shouldn’t be a smile on the cover waiting for you on the next shot.
Fortunately, most balls these days are much more durable than the wound balata balls of our youth. However, some manufacturers are so focused on creating the softest ball that they neglect the fact that some of us would like to use a ball for multiple rounds.
A ball should be durable enough to last a whole round at a minimum if you can get more than that out of it, even better!
The visuals category includes both the markings on the ball and its visibility in the rough. A golf ball’s durability doesn’t matter if you can’t find it after you hit it! Many seniors whose eyesight isn’t what it once was will opt for brighter colored yellow or green balls to see them more easily in the rough.
And the alignment aids on the ball should be visible when you’re standing over a putt. Sure, you can draw a line on the ball, but some have excellent alignment aids built in that reduce the need for a sharpie line. Distracting logos that confuse the vision and distract focus should be avoided.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can a golf ball tailored for senior golfers help me with distance?
There are several ways to make a golf ball longer for senior golfers. First off is by using a Surlyn cover, which will spin less than a pricier urethane-covered golf ball.
A good 2-piece golf ball with softcore and a Surlyn cover will provide a lovely combination of distance and feel. The distance comes from the reduced spin of Surlyn and the increased compression of a softcore.
Some seniors who still have medium swing speeds might look into 3-piece golf balls with an extra layer under the cover to help add more spin.
If you’re a player who still gets good air under the ball and wants it to hop and stop on the green, you can find a softball that has low compression for distance but enough spin to react to short iron shots.
2. What is the golf ball spin?
Golf balls spin when you hit them; if they didn’t, they’d be impossible to control. Dimple patterns and the materials of construction determine how many spins they’ll have.
Too much spin and your ball will balloon and not travel far or straight; not enough spin, and your ball may be too hard to control around the greens.
Tour players impart so much backspin on the ball because of their high swing speeds and clean contact.
Seniors with slower swing speeds play a different game and generally want less spin to maximize distance.
However, a ball should still have enough backspin to allow for greenside chips to be controlled.
One last thing to consider is that high-spin balls won’t just have backspin: if you slice or hook it, it’ll have more sidespin.
Most senior golfers need to keep the ball in the fairway to maximize distance, so a lower spin ball with less sidespin will help by going straighter and staying in more fairways.
3. Does the ball cover make any difference?
The ball cover is one of the essential factors in golf ball performance, price, and durability. A urethane ball will offer great spin but may cost players with slow swing speeds some distance. Urethane covers are also much less durable than the less expensive, firmer Surlyn balls.
I’d recommend trying out a budget-priced ball and if you find the ball unsatisfactory, move up a price point at a time until you find that ideal golf ball. It’s a great excuse to play more golf: “I’m testing out the new balls to find the right one for my game!”
Finding the right golf ball for swing speed is essential to get the most out of your current abilities. While we have reviewed a range of quality balls for slow swingers, the Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls stand out as the best for most players in this category.
They have a great soft feel, optimize spin, and maximize distance for slow swingers. At the same time, they offer forgiveness and accuracy.
Consider your swing speed and other factors in your game to find the best golf ball for your needs.