Best Irons for New Golfers
Irons are golf clubs with metalheads. They are thin from the front to the back and have a grooved head, which will improve the way the ball spins. Whether you are teeing on shorter holes or extracting a ball from the bunker, you will need the right iron.
Not all irons will be compatible with all golfers. For instance, if you are new to the game, you need the best golf irons for beginners. It should be forgiving and consistent, designed to unleash the full potential of any novice in Golf.
Irons are as important as the drivers and the putters when you are on the golf field.
These are the clubs that can compensate for a poor driver shot and make the job of putter easy.
Therefore, you need to get your hands on a decent set of irons, and to help you in this matter, we have compiled a list of the best golf irons for low handicappers.
Let’s get started.
Callaway Golf 2019 Apex Pro Irons Set
Apex Pro’s are the better-player irons and latest in the lot of Callaway designed for players who seek more distances. This set offers a different number of irons ranging from three to nine.
Therefore, if you have one or two irons already, you can go with the smaller sets. Below is what is to talk about these low handicapped irons.
Apex Pro iron set features a shaft made up of steel or graphite. Those who have recently got themselves into a lower handicap should go with graphite shafts.
This is because these shafts are lighter than steel, hence, produce more flex which generates distance even on low swing rates.
However, if you have been a low handicap for a while, steel would be a better option as it provides accuracy and a decent feel.
Apex Pro uses a technology called “360 Face Cup,” where the face edges wrap around the body, making the irons faster. As per Callaway, these are their first better-player irons where they have used this technology.
If you wonder, 360 Face Cup makes the iron a bit more forgiving than some of the other better-player irons. However, the effect may not be as great as you find in irons for mid to high handicap.
Furthermore, inside the head of the irons, around 50 g of the tungsten is molded, bringing the center of gravity (COG) in the correct position.
In three to seven irons, designers have positioned it lower in the toe, enhancing the ball speed. Conversely, in shorter irons, it has been shifted higher for a higher strike position at impact.
The size of the head is compact, which is amazing considering the stuff it has stashed inside. The forged cavities provide an exceptional feel and feedback to the players.
Essentially, the shorter irons give a firm feel which is what most pro players seek. On the other hand, the higher irons sound and feel hollow as tech kicks in, but it should not put you off.
The area where the company has disappointed a bit is the loft angles. These angles are 2-3 degrees weaker than the standard apex, which causes problems in ball launch. However, as you get used to them, it is something you would find yourself adjusted to.
Besides that, the distance these irons for low handicappers add into the shot is definitely what makes them stand out. You would be able to compensate off the off-center tee shots with these delicate fellas.
- Looks great at address, with sizes, offsets, and top lines not too extreme.
- Plenty of distance for a player’s iron while still being workable.
- Feel is amazing.
- Great forgiveness.
- Compact and sleek design
- Adds distance in the shot
- Premium feel
- Loft angles are not optimal
Mizuno MP-20 Golf Iron Set Series
Mizuno had been out of the scene for quite a while. However, recently, it has resurfaced by producing what is being called “The Poster Boy of the Family.” It is the sleek design and clean blade that has earned this name from the critics. Besides that, below is what to expect from this.
The material used in the construction of the shaft is steel which provides a stiff flex. Thus, being stiff and rugged, it does not flex much, hence, no vibrations. This, in turn, provides a great feel and feedback at the time of impact.
Furthermore, MP-18 irons have mild carbon steel with grain flow forged which is a trademark of Mizuno. But, in this case, for the more excellent feedback, the grain was concentrated during the forging process.
Mizuno has tried to go back to the traditional style in an era where CAD drawing has taken over. Therefore, after producing a drawing, these irons were taken to Yoro, Japan, for further refining. Lines were engraved, and then it was again inserted into the computer to start the production.
This way, the company has successfully given it a traditional touch but managed to produce it through computer-operated machines.
The sleek design of these irons does not go unnoticed when you open up the package. Moreover, Mizuno went for a complete “white-out” on the graphic, which conceals white paint fills. Consequently, the final look of the irons is something that catches the eyes of everyone on the course.
The feel is pretty sharp and solid, which is what you should expect from blades of this type. Above all, the feeling stays the same, be it higher irons or the lower ones. The sharp and solid feel adds to the feedback, which helps the player to make precise shots. So these are undoubtedly the best Mizuno irons for low handicappers.
Essentially, when going for a golf iron, you need to be mindful of the degree of forgiveness which is next to nothing in this set. Therefore, unless you can consistently strike the ball in the center, this set may not be the one for you.
If you can strike the ball consistently, you would be delighted with the accurate loft angles and distances these provide. You would thus be able to launch the ball accurately even from the pits and other rough surfaces.
Distance? Yes, they make the ball go longer distances with optimal spin. Therefore, you get nearer to the target, making it easier to make the hole with a putter.
- Plenty of feels
- Perfect for power players
- You will not get a flyer/knuckleball with these
- Better feedback
- Sleek and good-looking design
- Solid and sharp feel
- Sturdy construction
- Not even slightly forgiving
Wilson Men’s and Teen Complete Golf Set
- Titanium composite 460cc driver with power weighting technology for a large sweet spot and strong loft for greater distance
- Large sweet spot fairway wood with a strong loft and low weighting design that is easy to hit from the fairway or rough
- Hybrid club with a shallow face and high-launch technology for better trajectory and longer, straighter shots than a long iron
- Stainless steel irons with low center of gravity for high launch and extreme perimeter weighting for enhanced forgiveness
- Large unsupported face design on the irons boost ball speed to give you more distance
This is a high-quality set of clubs for beginners and improvers. The driver and woods have oversized heads, making it easy to hit far and straight consistently.
They’re finished with a PVD coating that allows these clubs to be durable and long-lasting.
Wilson has been through many iterations of the clubs and has put all that technology into this brand new set that performed above our expectations in almost every category.
Everything about this set is premium, and the carry Stand Bag is lightweight, with soft shoulder straps, and it has plenty of pockets for all your balls and Tees and even for a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate as you make your way around the course.
These come in regular and tall versions, and the irons are perimeter weighted for greater accuracy.
There are graphite shafts in the driver, wood, and hybrid; andy Irons have Steel shafts for better control and distance.
- The irons are very forgiving
- The putter is balanced very well
- Very affordable set
- It comes from a quality manufacturer
- No superfluous clubs
- Includes clubs that are specifically helpful to beginners
- Quality premium set for a reasonable price
- Oversized heads for forgiveness
- Perimeter weighted irons
- quality carry bag
- Complete set
- No 3 Wood
- No option for graphite shafts in the irons
Cobra Golf 2019 Men’s XL Speed Complete Golf Set
The Cobra XL speed set comes with a driver, 3-wood, five wood, 4 and 5 hybrid, 6 to 9 in the Irons, pitching wedge, sand wedge, and a putter.
You also get a quality cart bag, which is a go-to premium set for beginners and improvers.
We love almost everything about this set; you get the full array of clubs. The drivers and Woods have oversized heads with good loft allow you to hit the ball far and straight even as you improve from beginner to intermediate.
A deep undercut and permiter weighting make the irons perfect for excellent ball flight as a beginner.
You get to choose between graphite and steel shafts and all of the clubs, which is excellent, and you also get to choose between regular and senior flex, so this is a wonderful set for Fast and slow swing speeds alike.
The cart bag has 14 openings at the top, it has seven pockets for all your balls and Tees, has a ventilated cooling pocket that can store 12, 14 oz cans, and has a velour-lined security pocket for your phone, phone watch, and other valuables.
If you have the budget and want the best set, this is the one to go for.
- Full clubs
- The blade is the most noteworthy design
- It has a high-edge cart bag with a shoulder strap and a cold beverage compartment.
- The full array of clubs with headcovers
- Woods and Hybrids off variation
- Sturdy and robust cart bag
- For fast and slow swingers
- Putter With Visual Alignment
- No option for taller players
- The bag is a little heavy
Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron Set RH 5-PW Steel Reg
Many new golfers end up desperate when they frequently miss their hits. The 2020 Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo was born out of this desperation. Manufactured by one of the best golf iron brands, it is designed with the needs of novices in mind aiming to improve their game.
Despite being made for beginners, we laud how it comes with advanced features. This is anticipated since it is from one of the most notable brands in the world of Golf.
It comes with complete hollow construction with internal ribs. It has a large head, which will make it more forgiving. Since there is a larger contact area, there is a lesser chance that you will not hit the ball.
The Hi-Bore Crown is another innovative feature you will find in these irons for beginners. It has low and deep weighting, which will improve the flight and trajectory of the ball. This will make the ball go precisely in the direction where you want it to be.
The irons also have a progressive shaping, providing an option for almost any environment that will confront you on the golf course.
If there’s one thing that you might not like in this set of golf irons, it would be that they can be extremely noisy. Some of you might be annoyed by the head’s nose upon impact with the ball.
- Natural balance
- Microhinge insert
- Versa color scheme
- Distance control
- Elegant matte black finish
- Good ball flight
- Ideal for those who struggle with slices
- It makes a loud swing noise
Wilson Men’s and Teen Complete Golf Set
- Large 460cc Driver Engineered with Super Game Improvement technology to enhance new golfer experience
- Deep, perimeter weighted 431 stainless steel irons with very low center of gravity for improved accuracy and distance
- Lightweight, premium Carry bag features Air Flow adjustable shoulder straps, rugged handle top, numerous pockets and self activating stand
- Easy Launch Sand Wedge features very low weighting and wide sole for better greenside control and improved shot making
- Popular Heel/Toe weighted Putter with soft alignment grip provides superior feedback, feel and accuracy
If the value for money is what you are looking for, then the Wilson Golf Profile SGI Men’s Complete Golf Set is one product that should be on your radar.
You will get more than just iron. It includes other clubs beginners will need for their game improvement. You will also get an iron sand wedge and putter.
The iron is one of the highlights of this set of golf clubs. It is made of stainless steel, which is known for its durability. It also has a perimeter weighting, which will improve the position of the center of gravity to optimize the performance of high handicappers.
If you are looking for a replacement for your long iron, however, you will also love how this set includes a No. 5 Fairway Wood.
It is more forgiving compared to your longer irons, making it easier to prevent mishits. It also has a weighted face, which will improve accuracy in your off-center shots.
As a bonus, we love the carrying bag included in this set. This will make it easy to keep the clubs organized and protected from the external elements that can speed up the damage.
The bag is lightweight, with plenty of storage spaces. It has well-padded straps for ease of carrying. There is also a self-supporting stand.
- The irons are very forgiving
- The putter is balanced very well
- Very affordable set
- It comes from a quality manufacturer
- No superfluous clubs
- Includes clubs that are specifically helpful to beginners
- Perimeter-weighted design
- It comes with a carry bag
- Some might find it short
Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set
Like the product mentioned above, the Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete 12 Piece Package Set comes with almost everything any beginner needs. This is unlike the other recommendations in this buying guide, which are only irons.
The set comes with four irons, all of which have fantastic construction. All the irons have a cavity-backed construction. There is extra steel that you will find in the outer rim of the clubhead.
This will improve balance and forgiveness, making this set an ideal option if you are looking for the easiest clubs to hit.
The clubs beyond the irons are also notable because of their innovative features. We love the 460cc titanium driver, which will be easy for any novice to swing because of its lightweight construction.
The large clubhead is also a plus. Like the iron, this will be more forgiving, increasing the chances of hitting the ball.
It is also inclusive of a low-profile 3-wood. With a loft of 15.5 degrees, it will be great out of the tee box, even for high handicappers.
Plus, it also has a low profile to position the center of gravity strategically. As a result, the ball will demonstrate optimal distance once it is hit.
To keep all of the clubs organized, it is also packaged with an easy-to-carry bag. You will not have a hard time moving the clubs around!
- The driver is perfect for long and straight shots
- Irons are high precision and stainless steel
- You get a lot of distance from the driver
- Hybrids rescue you out of trouble and give you high trajectory on your shots
- All the clubs have an expanded sweet spot allowing you to mishit your shot
- Large sweet spot
- It comes with a bag
- Flex can be better
Titleist 718 AP2
718 AP2 is part of Titleist’s Tour Series irons with several variants, including 718MB, 718 CB, and 718 AP3.
Each of these sets has a unique purpose, and in the case of AP2, it is to improve the player’s consistency. Below is what makes this possible.
Titleist essentially has not changed chassis size and still uses the one featured in their first model launched back in 2008. However, to make it a little forgiving and improve the consistency, they brought quite a few other changes.
The steel inserts are much thinner, for starters, around 0.3mm than the 2.1mm found in previous models. It does not sound like a lot, but it significantly impacts the ball’s speed, especially in the longer irons.
Furthermore, the high-density tungsten jar once again has been meddled with. Titleist has used a co-forging process to bind it with the toe and heel of the head. Therefore, no glue or welding had to be used, which, as a consequence, reduces weight a bit.
On average, each iron contains almost 57.4g of tungsten inside, which is a couple of grams more than its predecessors. Moreover, the caps forged over them are also of tungsten. It allows more mass to move to the edge of the head, which improves the COG, consequently improving the launch.
As per the company, AP2 has a higher moment of inertia (MOI) than their game-improvement irons which is quite impressive.
Moreover, now, there is a pre-worn leading edge of the iron, which improves turf interaction.
Shorter irons have more like a muted feel, but as you ascend, perks of the cavity come into play. Titleist has used Temper AMT stock shaft, which is an ascending mass shaft.
Therefore, the shorter irons are a bit heavier than, the longer ones. However, if it does not suit you, Titleist custom fitting allows modifying it.
Most of the players would be happy to get their hands on this set which is a combination of feel and forgiveness. However, the longer irons demand a little more striking speed to provide the consistency you need.
AP2 is capable of hitting the ball on greater loft angles with greater speed. This set offers optimal launches, which makes it easy to hit from the turf. Hence, regardless of the surface, you can hit the ball to longer distances.
- A notable step up in terms of forgiveness from the 716 AP2s
- The feel is exceptional, particularly with the mid irons
- A bit of extra distance to be had thanks to the steel face inserts
- Lower COG
- Improves consistency
- Not as excellent a feel as other variants
2018 Cobra Golf Men’s King Forged Tec Black Iron Set
- One length set makeup-re-engineered to match 7-iron length and weighting in order to deliver maximum simplicity and consistency through the set
- DBM Black Finish-Cobra's most durable satin black finish. DBM (Demonized Black Metal) provides extreme resistance to wear for longer lasting, better looking irons
- Carbon feel technology-a lightweight, carbon fiber medallion dampens vibrations at impact for a soft, yet solid feel
- Tungsten weighting-high Density tungsten weights are strategically positioned on the heel and toe to lower and center the CG to deliver more forgiveness and precision
- Cobra Connect technology-seamless in grip-electronic sensor technology allows you to Track your improvement using detailed stats and analysis of every aspect of your iron game
Black irons have sleek, hollow, and muscle back heads to lower the COG to improve distance and launch. Furthermore, it also makes it a bit forgiving, which enhances the consistency in the shots.
The strategic positioning of the high-density tungsten weights plays a vital role in the performance. It lowers down the COG to the center, which improves the accuracy of the shot.
Inside the face, you would get energizing foam microspheres which are a crucial factor in the acoustics of this set. These microspheres dampen vibration and create a responsive and softer feel that players seek these days.
Furthermore, irons offer a more prominent sweet spot despite the compact head size, which increases the ball speed and distances.
In terms of distances and speed, these highest-rated low handicap irons perform exceptionally well. You would not get too high a spin rate or incorrect launch angles while playing the shots.
These few extra yards get you near the target, allowing you to make the hole under par.
As these irons offer a little bit of forgiveness, you can reproduce the same shot over and over again. Consequently, you achieve higher consistency which indeed gives a headache to the opponents.
However, it is the look, not the actual performance which makes this set stand out. The black satin finish is a show-stealer that catches the eyes of everyone on the field.
The finish increases the durability of the irons as well by maximizing the resistance against wear. Therefore, once you have spent some money on it, it will last you quite some time.
- Excellent feel at impact with unbelievable distance
- Experienced golfers will love the control on the Apex irons
- Ideal launch angle with any club, proven to land soft and with spin
- Can reproduce the same shots meaning it increases your consistency
- Accurate shots
- Delivers higher speed and distances
- Ultra good-looking design
- Higher strike rates are required
Callaway Steelhead XR Individual Iron
- Golf Digest 2017 Hot List Gold Medal Winner! The Steelhead XR Irons are where a signature shape meets breakthrough performance with our industry, next generation 360 Face Cup. They deliver the finest combination ever of speed in a Callaway iron.
- We've positioned the CG to promote easy launch and more carry in the long irons, keen control in mid-irons, and lower and higher-spinning shots in the short irons
- The next generation of our industry-leading 360 Face Cup technology increases ball speed on both center hits and mis-hits. More ball speed = more distance
- Our soft, steel-infused Shock Eliminator Technology absorbs unwanted vibration for great feel, and helps lower the head's Center of Gravity (CG) for higher launch
- The new Hollow Bore-Thru hosel design saves significant weight that's strategically repositioned in the head to create more forgiveness and easier launch
The Callaway Steelhead XR Individual Iron is another excellent choice if you are looking for a game improvement club. Beginners and high handicappers will love how easy it is to use.
Like most golf clubs from Callaway, one thing that makes this an exceptional product is the 360 Face Cup Technology.
Developed exclusively by the manufacturer, this is a revolutionary feature that increases ball speed. As a result, the ball will travel at a longer distance even if you are not as aggressive when swinging.
Another reason why we are recommending this for good irons for beginners is the Shock Eliminator Technology, which will ensure your highest level of comfort.
This will absorb unwanted vibration so that your hands will not suffer from unnecessary strain. This also makes it easier to have the right follow-through to your shots.
Another notable feature you will find in this iron is the hollow-thru hosel. This design element adds significant weight to strategic positions.
This balances the clubhead while also maximizing impact so that the ball can travel far after it is hit. This affects the center of gravity, which will also positively impact the launch of the ball.
Lastly, like most of the best forgiving golf clubs, you will find in the market, the shaft is available in two types – steel and graphite. Both materials are durable, so you won’t have regrets regardless of what you will pick.
- Wonderful forgiveness
- Nice high launch with long carry and great distance
- Easy to hit even for those with slower swing speeds
- Sharp look as is typical with Callaway clubs
- Delivers a combination of speed and forgiveness
- Effectively absorbs vibration
- Can make a hollow sound
With too many choices for the most accessible golf irons to hit, which one should you buy? If you are having a hard time deciding, this section will discuss some of the most important considerations.
1. Types of Golf Irons
One of the first things you need to know is that the golf irons are separated into three categories. This is crucial as this will dictate which one is most suitable for your needs as a beginner.
2. Super Game-Improvement Irons
If you are a beginner, then this is the best choice for you. It is designed to be more forgiving than others, resulting in a more prominent sweet spot to prevent mishits.
It also improves the distance and trajectory of the ball, adding more power to every swing. It has a wider sole and a more prominent face than other clubs you will have in your set.
It also has perimeter weighting to improve balance and forgiveness.
3. Game Improvement Irons
For mid-level golfers, this is a good choice. Even beginners can benefit from this, although it won’t be as forgiving as previously mentioned. The longer face length of the club will be beneficial in terms of accommodating off-center hits.
4. Player Irons
Also called blades, avoid these irons if you are a beginner. This is designed for skilled and experienced players. It has a narrow sole and shorter blade length, which will be challenging to use for newbie golfers.
5. Players Distance Irons
These irons will offer the best of both worlds of game improvement and player’s irons. For mid to high handicappers, this club will be great. Competitive golfers will also benefit from its performance. For beginners, however, this may not be the best choice.
As you try to differentiate the options in the market, you will see that they are available in various styles. This will dictate the overall performance of the club, as well as its appearance.
For the uninitiated, it might seem like the difference in style is only for aesthetics. The truth is that it also affects how forgiving the iron will be, dictating if it is a good choice for beginners or not.
7. Cavity-back Irons
You will find a cavity on the backside of the clubhead. This will allow good weight distribution outside the club.
One of the best things about this design is that it prevents energy from being lost even if you do not strike the ball from the center. This is a good choice for beginners because it is more forgiving.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Low handicap in Golf?
When the golf handicap index is in the single-digit figures, it is considered as a low handicap in Golf.
2. What handicap is a good golfer?
If you have a handicap somewhere between 10 and 20, you are a good golfer.
3. How far should I hit with five iron?
You should be able to hit 160 yards if you are male and 140 if you are female.
4. What is swing speed considered decent?
If you have a swing speed of around 93-95 miles per hour, you can play with better-player irons.
5. Do golf pros use graphite shafts?
Most PGA Tour pros will use graphite shafts for their woods and steel shafts for their irons. They generally have high swing speeds and benefit from the stiffer, more durable steel shafts.
Picking golf irons can be an overwhelming task, especially if you are a novice. You will be confronted with tons of options, but this isn’t an excuse to pick any iron.
The best golf irons for beginners are designed to be easy to use. They have an ergonomic design, making the irons effortless and comfortable to hold. Approaching a shot and landing it near the green will be easier when you are equipped with the suitable iron when you are on the golf course!