Golf Digest Best Drivers for Seniors
There’s no denying that no one can beat father time. Losing our youth affects how we play golf. The swing starts to slow down, and the golf ball won’t travel as far as it used to be.
But does it mean that we should stop playing golf? Not exactly. Over the years, companies developed drivers for seniors. Between senior golf clubs vs. regular ones, the designs are slightly different.
We know that not all senior golfers are the same. While some are new to the game and want to take on a new hobby for their retirement, others are already savvy golfers with mid to low handicaps, and these golfers are both looking for slightly different things from their Drivers.
So how do we lessen the ill effects of aging on our game off the tee box? By finding the right Driver to maximize our MPH.
Let’s get started.
Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver
The men Callaway drivers are a favorite by different golfers, whether you’re a female golfer or someone who just hit your senior year and experiencing some changes in your body.
The Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver is not exclusive to advanced players. It has options that even elderly golfers can appreciate. The Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver comes in both left and right-handed orientation. On top of that, you have different loft options. You get a 9°, 10.5°, or a 12° option for everyone.
It also includes a technology that can help the ball to cover more distance. The technology is called the Flash Face technology. It made use of a different architecture that Artificial Intelligence designed. It is worth mentioning that this is the first AI initiative in the golf industry.
It also used the Trixie Carbon Crown that helped in the overall weight distribution of the Driver within the head. This makes the Callaway Golf 2019 Epic Flash Driver one of the best options in terms of forgiveness.
Jailbreak Technology has two internal bars that can help stiffen and also stabilize the crown and the sole. This makes it easier to have more impact load on the face allowing the ball to travel farther. This technology is unique in the Epic Flash Driver’s design. With all of these features, you might need to test it out a bit before getting the hang of it.
- Solid strikes produce insane distance.
- Forgiveness is better than previous Callaway offerings like the GBB Epic
- Easy to hit
- Flexible adjustability from sliding weight
- Solid and comfortable feel
- Designed by AI
- Great weight distribution
- It takes some time to get used to
TaylorMade Men’s AeroBurner Black Driver
- Advanced 460cc aerodynamic shape designed with rounder toe, raised center crown, reduced drop from crown to skirt, and new hosel fin
- New Speed Pocket increases size of the sweet spot and reduces spin
- New matte white finish, black PVD face, and linear AeroBurner crown graphic make alignment easy
- Built with the new, lightweight Matrix Speed RUL-Z 50 shaft and TM Speed grip
- Several aftermarket shafts and grips available to customize your AeroBurner
The TaylorMade Men’s Aero Burner Black Driver is a straightforward driver specifically made for elderly golfers. It has a 12° loft angle allowing you to launch your ball farther.
It has technology that allows the reduction of spin and allows the users to hit the ball with ease. Aesthetically, it has a black finish with a PVC face. The weight balance and the length are also decent for most players, including elderly players.
However, this isn’t exactly the perfect lightweight golf driver. It has been built with a lightweight black matrix speed rul-z 50 shafts. This shaft is known for being stiff. And if you consider senior flex vs. regular shafts, the former bends.
It is a nice overall stick that you can’t go wrong with. It is one of the best golf drivers for seniors but is it perfect? Not exactly. Though the shaft is lightweight, you have to account that it is also stiff, which many senior players avoid, like a plague.
- Solid strikes produce a consistently straight, high, and long ball flight
- Sharp aesthetic
- Excellent forgiveness
- It has a decent loft angle to launch the ball farther
- Spin reduction capability
- Allows users to hit the target easier
- The shaft is too stiff for elderly players
TaylorMade M6 Driver
Regardless of whether you want the Taylormade 9.5 driver regular shaft or you want something meant for seniors, the TaylorMade M6 gives users the option to choose the right features for their game. For those who use the Taylormade senior flex shaft, the Taylor Made M6 doesn’t disappoint, aiding users to have better control of their shots.
As for the shaft material, you can choose between the Fujikura Atmos Black or the Orange configuration. The loft option comes in 9°, 10.5°, and 12°. As for the head, it has been injected with a tuning resin that optimizes the coefficient of restitution on the surface once it hits the ball.
The speed injection allows the ball to travel farther distances when you use the M6 Driver. The carbon sole has been aerodynamically designed to increase the speed of the clubhead with less drag as you get to swing.
It is also designed to reduce the spin. It has a twisted face with a curvature to deliver a straighter shot once you take the shot. And lastly, you have the Hammerhead 2.0 that works with the speed injection giving users a larger sweet spot to hit the ball. For those looking to use this in tournaments, the M6 is allowed by the USGA and R&A.
The biggest deal-breaker for the Taylormade M6, however, is the fact that it has questionable quality. Many reported that their Driver already showed signs of wear and tear after some time playing with it.
The product, M6 Driver by TaylorMade, has brought ball speed, flexibility, forgiveness, distance, aesthetics, and style for a range of golfers.
It is an excellent product worth buying with a cost equivalent to that of the M4 Driver. Therefore, you may find it more evolutionary with qualities better than the earlier versions of drivers such as M4 Driver and M5 Driver.
- The Driver has a very forgiving build.
- Various types of mis-hits are corrected due to their design
- It gives every shot a very good distance
- Grants higher swing speed
- The Driver has a very generous sweet spot
- Has quite a firm grip
- The ease makes it suitable for beginners
- Variety of options to choose from
- Clubhead designed to lessen the spin and drag
- With speed injection
- Completely legal in tournaments
- Questionable quality
PGX Offset Golf Driver
- Offset anti-slice technology
- 460cc club head
- Head cover included
Pinemeadow Golf designed the PGX Offset Golf Driver to help players get more enjoyment out of the game.
The critical component of this club is the Offset technology. If you struggle with the slice, you are leaving the clubface open at impact. The offset helps you square the club and produces far straighter drives.
Do you think size matters? The PGX Offset driver head is 460cc, the maximum legal size, giving you a large sweet spot.
It is also a lightweight driver, allowing you to generate more speed.
It features a very stylish-looking club with a black matte finish and a small green alignment indicator that you will see at the address position.
This Driver is a 10.5-degree loft and comes with a Pinemeadow limited graphite shaft. You can choose the flex with options including Senior, Regular, Stiff, or Extra Stiff.
The PGX Offset Golf Driver comes with a Pinemeadow standard grip and includes a headcover.
All of this for a “what do you have to lose?” price.
Aren’t you tired of hitting the shortest tee shot in your group? Are you frustrated with constantly playing your second shot from the woods or the bunkers?
Is your nickname “Chiquita” because of all the banana slices you hit? The PGX Offset Golf Driver may be the answer to your prayers.
This Driver is built to help you make consistent contact and drive the ball straighter.
Pinemeadow has created a club that is affordable for all players and can help them decrease their scores. Whether you are just starting or have been fighting the slice for years, this Driver is worth a look.
- Fixed hosel offset helps with keeping your drive straight, especially if you slice the golf ball.
- Slick black finish on Driver’s head makes for easy alignment
- Large sweet spot helps with off-center hits for high-handicappers
- This is an inexpensive golf driver that has some high-quality features for beginners.
- It’s very light, so you won’t have to deal with fatigue.
- It comes with a headcover that’s very aesthetically attractive.
- The shaft feels a bit short
Cobra Golf Women’s 2019 F-Max Superlite Offset Driver
The Cobra F-Max Driver is one of the lightest and easiest hit drivers ever made and is one of the best max game improvement drivers on the market today.
Designed for players with moderate to slow clubhead speeds that want more forgiveness and distance, the Cobra F-Max Driver is extremely lightweight and easy to hit.
When designing the F-Max Driver, Cobra focused on the concept that lighter means easier to hit, and they went to incredibly great lengths to make this happen.
The Cobra F-Max Driver features an ultra-lightweight shaft. This offset hosel design creates a higher launch with draw bias for straighter shots, a forged titanium face insert that helps to deliver greater speed and distance on mis-hits, and a back-weight position near the club’s heel helps to promote a more forgiving and accurate shot.
The Cobra F-Max Driver is truly designed for an easy launch, straighter shots, and greater ball speed and is an ideal club for players with higher handicaps or with slow to moderate swing speed looking to improve their performance on the tee box.
The Cobra F-Max Driver truly incorporates the very best in technology and design. While it may look unassuming, the Cobra F-Max Driver boasts subtle yet very significant upgrades that ultimately help players create faster clubhead speeds.
The Cobra F-Max Driver has Lamkin REL 360 midsize grips that are not only comfortable but help players improve consistency with each swing.
The F-Max Driver also incorporates Cobra’s Superlite shafts which help to promote improved clubhead speed and greater distance.
The Superlite Shaft is extremely lightweight (the standard weighs 50 grams while the women’s weighs 45 grams, which is ½ the weight of most graphite shafts on the market.
- Forged with E9 technology
- Internal weight pad
- Strong graphite composition
- Ultra-forgiving construction
- Makes it easier for most female golfers to keep the head on plane
- Maintains good balance throughout the swing
- Easy to swing because it’s light
- Increases distance with minimal effort
- It takes time to get used to the bigger head
- Tight headcover
Callaway Big Bertha B21 Iron Set
- Due to unprecedented demand across the industry, causing a shortage of shafts and grip, we may need to substitute for an equivalent premium shaft/grip.
- Big Bertha B-21 is the first Big Bertha Iron with our A.I.-designed Flash Face Cup.
- This industry-leading Flash Face Cup is in each club. We’ve created high ball speeds and increased spin robustness with a sophisticated face architecture that’s unique to every loft.
- This club profile is engineered to give you more confidence over the ball with noticeably wider soles. For easy launch, lower spin and straighter shots, we’ve added more offset.
- We’ve added a significant amount of custom tungsten weighting. So we can deepen the CG in each iron with extraordinary precision, while still maintaining ball speed in the Flash Face Cup.
Callaway Big Bertha drivers have been on the golf scene for many years.
The latest AI technology used to develop this latest model will please Callaway fans.
Drivers are all about distance, and the new B21 produces long straight high launch drives by decreasing ball spin off the face.
The new AI-designed Flash Face SS21 promotes fast ball speed at contact and compensates for any off-center strike, thereby retaining distance.
The super-strength clubhead design and materials are lighter than titanium to produce a consistent ball speed.
Jailbreak + T2C Triaxial carbon crown has 2 bars that connect the sole to the head, and the lighter carbon crown allows for redistribution of weight to create a higher MOI.
The Callaway RCH lightweight 55gm regular graphite shaft increases clubhead speed through impact, and the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Soft Grip improves the feel.
Senior or slow swing speed golfers should take advantage of the new technology to keep their game consistent.
- Flash Face Cup architecture for enhanced speed and spin
- 360 Face Cup that flexes and releases at impact
- Club profile engineered for increased forgiveness
- Visible Tungsten Energy Core weighting for higher launch
- Urethane microspheres absorb vibration for a better feel and faster ball speeds
- Long off the tee with low spin
- New high launch technology for straighter drives
- Fastball speed from AI Designed Flash Face
- Improve launch angle and eliminate a slice
- Easy to hit
- A stronger player may require a stiffer shaft
- Upper price level
- Clubhead at address may not be to everyone’s liking
- Internal draw bias in the head not for golfers who prefer to hit a fade
Cleveland Golf Launcher Turbo Driver
The Cleveland Launcher driver has been around for a few years, and the performance has, in many cases, exceeded the expectation of the purchaser. The latest model, HB Turbo, has received many accolades from golf equipment experts and other reviews in 2021.
It is known as one of the top wedge manufacturers, their offerings have slowly grown, and this new Driver will put many a smile on the tee for any new owner. Probably one of the most underrated drivers on the market, it will suit all skill levels.
Cleveland has excelled at adding a full range of high-tech to the Driver. A re-designed HiBore Crown added to the Turbocharged Cup Face and an Ultra-light Hosel gives the 460cc head a confidence-inspiring and powerful look.
The head sits comfortably at the address, and stability and control make it easy to hit. The large sweet spot on the face adds forgiveness to the mishit tee shot without sacrificing too much distance.
Launch-angle is improved with a deep weighting sole pad and a counterbalanced Miyazaki C.Kua shaft developed for Cleveland.
Testing this Driver on the range should be fun, and the accuracy and distance are a bonus.
- It sits well at the address and is a confidence builder for all skill levels.
- Easy, high launch creates carry and distance.
- The great shaft fitted to this Driver adds accuracy and control.
- 4-loft options available: 9,10,5,10,5 Draw, and12 degrees.
- Very easy to use and swing
- Friendly head
- It looks like a premium driver
- It will suit those who struggle with a slice
- Not for higher swing speeds
- A very loud noise would take some getting used to
- Offset address position may not suit some
Callaway Men’s Steelhead XR Fairway Wood
- We improved the iconic Steelhead shape and refined our modern Hawkeye Sole to create a versatile, confidence-building head that’s super-easy to launch
- Our next-generation Hyper Speed Face Cup is exceptionally efficient at delivering fast ball speed and distance across the entire face, especially on mis-hits
- Developed with direct input from aerospace experts, our proprietary Speed Step improves aerodynamics for fast swing speed and distance
- Stock Mitsubishi Tensei CK shaft is designed to engineered to deliver the optimum balance of power and control
Callaway produces some legendary drivers, and their XR is a great option for seniors. It is ultra forgiving and still delivers a good distance. Most golfers appreciate the consistency and accuracy of the XR Driver. The low spin will benefit most seniors.
One can expect a decent trajectory and fair consistency with the Callaway Men’s XR Driver. It has a large and forgiving 460cc head which inspires confidence at address. It is easy to hit and will not allow mishits to stray too far off course.
The technology used in this Driver is impressive. The Speed Step Crown minimizes drag and allows for greater swing speed. This will result in more distance for most players.
The aerodynamic design just adds to seed and distance, making this a long-hitting driver. The reduced turbulence offered by the speed step design also adds to greater accuracy and consistency.
Callaway has incorporated its legendary RMOTO Face Technology. This produces fast ball speeds across the face for distance, accuracy, and forgiveness. The OptiFit Adjustability allows for a choice of 8 lie and loft settings according to your swing and style.
This allows for a great launch and a better distance for most golfers. The internal standing wave has been imp[orved for a lower CG with front weight. This further increases ball speed.
The graphics are quite dramatic and, while rather stylish, might not appeal to the more conservative golfer. The XR Driver is fast and long, but some might want a bit more in terms of moveable weights.
- Easy Launch from Classic Steelhead Shape + Modern Hawkeye Sole
- Fast Ball Speed from Next-Generation Face Cup Technology
- Extreme Forgiveness from a J-36 Carbon Crown and Shorter Hosel
- Fast Head Speed from Speed Step Technology
- Premium Stock Shaft for Power and Control
- Good aerodynamics and low drag
- Highly forgiving
- Speed and distance
- OptiFit Adjustability
- Some golfers take a while to adjust to the club
- Distance could be better
- Not as much adjustability as some would like
Cobra 2018 Golf Men’s King F8+ Driver
A popular and highly rated driver for seniors is the Cobra 2018 Golf Men’s, King F8 Driver. It is a feature-rich driver that is fast and long. Cobra has created a CNC precision milled face that is ultra-thin. This feature makes it incredibly fast and accurate.
Another feature that improves clubhead speed for greater distance is the perimeter 360 Aero-Innovative Polymer Aero Tips. These reduce drag, making the clubhead more aerodynamic and therefore faster.
The Carbon Fiber crown is superlight for optimal weight positioning and higher clubhead speeds. The CG is low and back and is adjustable for forgiveness and quality trajectories. The adjustable hosel will also allow you to finetune the Driver according to your needs.
Another popular feature is the SmartPad. This helps to keep the Driver’s face square at impact. You can expect good speed and distance with heaps of forgiveness. Many players appreciate the sound and feedback.
A lot of time, effort, and money went into the research and development of this Driver. Most golfers agree that they feel the benefits of this in the distance and accuracy the F8 delivers.
A unique and impressive feature of the Cobra King F8 Driver is the Arccos-powered Cobra Connect technology. This is a tracking system that will give you data about your driving performance.
It uses a sensor in the grip of the club and works with an app on your smartphone. This information should help to improve performance.
- Impressive distance regardless of where you hit the ball
- Very accurate and forgiving club, even on mishits
- CNC Milled Face with 360 Aero Tips Technology expands the sweet spot
- Good distance
- Accurate and highly forgiving
- Multiple adjustment options
- 360° Aero Tips for improved aerodynamics and higher clubhead speed
- Some players found the graphics distracting at address
- While forgiving the spin causes mishits to lose distance
Taylormade Sim Max Driver
The TaylorMade SIM MAX driver is a forgiveness focus driver, with an eight percent larger face size and having twenty grams of back weight.
It has been specially engineered for golf players who want more forgiveness. The additional 20-gram weight is adjusted at the extreme rear of the club using the inertia generator.
The TaylorMade engineers worked on the material for its previous M series drivers, and they perfected the material. With the knowledge of the perfect material in hand, they could work on the Driver’s shape’s geometry to achieve the best results.
They branded the aerodynamically improved shape as the “Shape in Motion” concept. The shape in motion was engineered to work where the minimum drag is required, but the golf player experienced the maximum drag.
Therefore the engineers were able to get extra speed and hence the extra mileage from SIM drivers. To give you a better look at the history, here is a brief description of the TaylorMade SIM and SIM Max drivers.
The club head of the TaylorMade SIM Max Driver is what they call speed injected. This means that no driver leaves the warehouse unless tested to make sure it is as close to the legal limit as possible. If you ever wondered if your Driver is as high-performing as it could be, the SIM Max most certainly is.
The SIM Max model is the perfect model for the mid handicapper. If you are a higher handicapper that needs extra forgiveness and a bit of help against a slice, then the SIM Max D could be a better fit. Some of the highest ball speeds in the golf world are being recorded using this Driver at the moment.
- Similar distance to the SIM with more forgiveness
- The higher spin, launch, and MOI can boost the confidence of higher handicaps
- Great consistency of feel across the face
- It still offers some mishit feedback
- Very high ball speeds
- Tons of forgiveness
- Very stable at impact
- Great feel
Cleveland Golf Launcher Turbo Driver
The Cleveland Golf Launcher Turbo Driver is a fast launching and easy-to-hit new release from Cleveland. Cleveland has had the launcher in its lineup for many years, but the technology and performance keep getting better.
The Launcher Turbo is excellent for a senior golfer that wants a very stable and consistent golf driver in their bag. The club is not all that difficult to hit and gives you plenty of launch in addition to the distance.
The Cleveland Launcher Turbo comes with a turbocharged cup face, which helps the ball get very high initial ball speeds.
The cup face technology provides some added forgiveness as well. Cleveland is not adjustable, which makes it even lighter in the hosel area, and that has been a big selling point for many people.
You will find that Cleveland technology is some of the more accurate on the market. They tend to fall slightly behind when it comes to the distance, but the Turbocharged features on this model have led to some great ball speeds.
- Very easy to use and swing
- Friendly head
- It looks like a premium driver
- It will suit those who struggle with a slice
- Very accurate
- Easy to get the proper ball flight
- Nice clean look and design
- Not adjustable
- Not quite as long as other models
The club’s weight is going to be important, especially for seniors, but it is not fair to throw every senior golfer into the same bucket as some will swing the club faster than others, just like with any age group.
Find out your swing speed so that you know the shaft type that is best for your game, whether that is super light and flexible or a bit stiffer and with more regular flex to get that extra bit of distance for the faster swingers.
The shaft you get included with the club will likely represent the price you pay for your Driver. The more expensive drivers usually come with more options regarding shaft weight and material, and they will usually come pre-loaded with high-end shafts for peak performance.
If you decide to go for the Majek, Wilson, or the Cleveland, you may also get a stock shaft which isn’t the end of the world but may not offer as much for the more experienced players.
Senior players will benefit from a higher degree of loft than the average player, allowing them to get a better launch trajectory and overall distance on their drives. We recommend a degree of loft that is at least 12 degrees that will suit a slower swing speed, but this will always come down to being a matter of personal preference for any golfer.
Spin is beneficial but can also work against you. A very high spin will result in a ball going too high without achieving great distance.
Too little spin will mean a poor launch with reduced distance. Finding the right balance for your speed and style is key.
Adjustability is not essential but can be a handy feature for many senior golfers. It will allow you to dial the club into your specific speed and style.
Do not forget to consider the size and quality of the grip. This will help you to maintain control of the club. The larger your hands, the bigger the grip you will need.
As with all golf equipment, the budget has to be considered. Any spending on a driver will result in sacrifice on other equipment. While quality drivers are costly, they will last you many years and help you improve your golf. Rather invest in a decent product that will improve your game.
All but the very best golfers want forgiveness in their drivers. Even experienced seniors will benefit from a forgiving head. Some drivers are designed for greater forgiveness, so be sure to select the one that suits your game.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should I look for in a golf driver tailored for seniors?
There are five areas that a senior golfer should focus their attention on when finding the right model for their game.
The first area is design. You want a driver with a clean look with a bright indicator that allows the golfer to see the correct spot they need to align the Driver’s head to the golf ball.
The second area is felt. Golfers should always strive to find clubs that they have comfort in because that encouragement will translate into confidence. Knowing how a golf ball comes off the clubface will allow a golfer to adjust their game on the fly, saving strokes and the final score.
Forgiveness is the third area that senior golfers should examine when buying a driver. Especially for older golfers who have a mid-to-high handicap and struggle to find the sweet spot on most drives, finding a driver featuring maximum forgiveness is a great idea.
The loft is another area that senior golfers must approach with an open mind. Most golfers believe that the lower the loft angle of their Driver, the farther the ball will travel, but that is not the case for low-speed swingers. Senior golfers need to find a driver with a loft no lower than 12 degrees.
Finally, adjustable features put the Driver entirely in control of the golfer. Perhaps, you want more height or need to reduce that slice; then adjustable weights can remedy those issues. While adjustable drivers are not for everyone, they are terrific tools that can help.
2. What’s the ideal loft angle for a driver for seniors?
The ideal loft angle in a driver for seniors is around 12-degrees, although slower swingers need to think about using even higher loft to help them get the ball into the air for maximum distance.
The loft of a driver is the number one area that mid-to-high handicappers of all ages misinterpret, causing them to hit weak and inconsistent drives.
For senior golfers, every yard of carrying matters. So, getting the loft perfect on the Driver gives the golfer the best chance to create shorter second shots.
One of the best ways to determine your ideal driver loft is by going to a professional or golf superstore that has a TrackMan system.
Within a dozen swings on the TrackMan, the professional will have your swing speed, launch angle, and other information that will allow them to find the best Driver and loft for your game.
3. Do I need to choose a senior flex when buying my Driver?
Choosing the senior flex on your new Driver’s shaft isn’t as black and white as companies will present to you.
First, senior flex is an approximation rating on the flex of a shaft as the golfer swings the club. Slower swing speeds need more flex to create a whipping action that brings the club through the impact zone squarely.
Golf swings are ultimately about timing, and the flex of a shaft assists in creating the right swing for your game.
Swing speeds between 70-85 MPH are usually the sweet spot for senior flex shafts. This swing speed will produce a drive that goes anywhere from 175-225 yards based on exterior elements such as wind and the firmness of the turf.
If you hit your drives in that yardage range, then the senior flex is an excellent place to start, but seeking the help of a golf professional could help you boost your distance with a more appropriate shaft for your Driver.
4. What is the most forgiving Driver for seniors?
The adjustable head configuration allows the senior golfer to set the ball flight to a fade, draw, or neutral bias. Ping claims the G425 Max to be the most forgiving Driver available in the market.
What is the average driving distance for a 70-year-old golfer?
Although the PGA Tour Pros swing between 110 and 120mph, you need not be that fast to score well. The average Senior Tour player swings a driver at 106mph and hits it 274 yards.
As much as it’s sometimes hard to admit, there’s no denying that all golfers over a certain age have seen a fairly significant reduction in their driving distance. Mainly this is due to a loss of muscle mass (strength) and a loss of flexibility, both of which combine to rob them of swing speed.
These problems not only result in a loss of swing speed though but often cause golfers to make subconscious compensations in their golf swing, which can contribute to a loss of accuracy as well.
Too many seniors simply accept these outcomes as a normal regression due to the aging process. And, to a certain extent, that’s understandable.
But there is a way to fight back and regain at least some of your lost distance. How? Get “current.” New driver technology provides many of the answers that you’re seeking for your game. A higher launch? Done. More forgiveness on mishits? Done. Additional distance? Done.
Hopefully, our list of the best senior golf drivers has helped you narrow down some of the hundreds of choices that are out there. Choose a club that works for your budget, but keep in mind that distance is probably the most critical factor for a senior player. Happy shopping!